UPDATE: Becerra was confirmed by the Senate in a narrow, partisan vote of 50-49. Read the CatholicVote statement on his confirmation.
The attached signatories urge you to OPPOSE the confirmation of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra to become the next Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Becerra has no education, training, or expertise in healthcare policy. Instead, he has spent his public career as a radical left-wing culture warrior, attacking everyone from crisis pregnancy centers to the Little Sisters of the Poor. His shameful record includes:
• Support for a radical California law that forced every healthcare plan to pay for abortions, and saying he is in favor of “single-payer” socialized medicine.
• Support of California’s Reproductive FACT Act, which forced pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise abortions, thankfully ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2018.
• Legal harassment of the Little Sisters of the Poor — even after they had won at the Supreme Court — in an effort to force the nuns and other organizations to pay for contraception and abortion drugs despite their moral objections.
• Brought 15 felony charges against journalist David Daleiden over his undercover videos that exposed the trafficking of unborn baby body parts by Planned Parenthood.
• Provided the legal basis for many of the unconstitutional restrictions on churches in California, recently struck down by the Supreme Court.
Becerra has shown himself to be an extreme ideologue and puppet of the abortion industry. If confirmed, his record of hostility toward people of faith and pro-life Americans will only further divide the country and create unnecessary conflict and harm.
Xavier Becerra is the last person we need in charge of our nation’s healthcare policy.
We urge you to vote NO and oppose this nomination.