Editor’s Note: Did you know there are three Catholic Senators up for re-election who support abortion and Planned Parenthood’s federal funding? They are Missouri’s Claire McCaskill, Indiana’s Joe Donnelly, and North Dakota’s Heidi Heitkamp. Click here to help us DEFEAT them!
Planned Parenthood owns the Democratic Party. That’s bad enough, but the abortion provider has its tentacles in the GOP, as well – despite its totalitarian left-wing bias against Republicans.
As voters prepare to go to the polls in November, here are four facts they should know about America’s largest abortion company.
Planned Parenthood thinks it has a right to your money
According to Planned Parenthood’s 2016/2017 annual report, 47 percent of its annual revenues come from taxpayers. As seen in the screenshot below, $543.7 million of its $1.163.6 billion budget comes from taxpayers.
A number of federal and state lawmakers have proposed eliminating Planned Parenthood’s federal and state teats. The abortion giant has sued to prevent that, arguing that its clients would suffer. Regretfully, some judges have ruled that defunding is unconstitutional. An Arkansas defunding measure has been ruled constitutional, though that case has not been finally decided.
Planned Parenthood thinks free speech rights only apply to their clients
I wrote about this for CatholicVote earlier this month, but it bears repeating: Planned Parenthood believes the right to free speech only applies to its supporters.
What I didn’t address in that piece is that Planned Parenthood has literally argued that defunding risks the free association rights of its clients…but forcing you to pay for its clients’ abortions don’t violate yours.
Got that? Planned Parenthood wants government to ban pro-life advocates from public property, it wants pro-life centers forced to refer for abortion, it wants pro-life companies required to pay for abortifacients…but it gets really angry when you don’t want to send your tax dollars to fund their abortions.
I guess #FreeSpeech only goes one way for the totalitarian Left…
Planned Parenthood kills almost seven percent of unborn girls in America
And that’s a low-end estimate. Here’s the math:
1. The latest numbers from the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute show that 926,200 abortions took place in 2014. These abortions do not include those which are caused by abortifacients like the IUD.
- Guttmacher reported that these abortions consisted of 19 percent of all pregnancies – not including miscarriages – in 2014.
- About 1.05 males are born every year for every female. That means 48.8 percent of newborns will be female, and about 451,89 girls were aborted in 2016. (This does not include the possibility of female-targeted abortions which are a problem in some immigrant populations.)
- Planned Parenthood committed 321,384 abortions in the last full year for which it has reported. 48.8 percent of 321,384 is 156,835 – or the number of girls aborted by Planned Parenthood in a single year.
- 19 percent of non-miscarriage births ended in abortion. Multiply this times 5.3 to get the total number of estimated pregnancies in 2014, and you get 4,874,737 pregnancies in 2014.
- 48.8 percent of 4,874,737 pregnancies is 2,378,872 girls in their mother’s wombs in 2014.
- 156,835 divided by 2,378,872 is 6.6 percent – or one in 15.15 – girls aborted in America each year.
Remember, this doesn’t include sex-selective abortions. Most sex-selective abortions are done in Asian countries – especially China – and it is not known how much of that has carried over to the U.S. via immigration. There is some evidence it takes place domestically.
Planned Parenthood may not be racist, but it sure likes ending the lives of non-white fetuses
Many pro-life activists believe the abortion industry’s reasons for killing unborn black babies at disproportionate rates are based around racism. I don’t have enough evidence to take a side on that – but it’s quite clear that Planned Parenthood and the rest of the abortion industry sees black Americans as a primary target market for abortion.
Guttmacher’s numbers tell the tale. “White patients accounted for 39% of abortion procedures in 2014, blacks for 28%, Hispanics for 25% and patients of other races and ethnicities for 9%.”
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, whites account for over 60 percent of the American population, Hispanics for about one-sixth, and blacks for fewer than one in seven. This means that white abortions took place at about two-thirds that which is our population rate, Hispanic abortions at about 1.5 the population rate…and blacks for more than 200 percent of their population rate.
As an additional data point: Planned Parenthood’s government funding is mostly from Medicaid and other programs designed to help low-income Americans. Hispanics and blacks tend to be the poorest Americans, according to a Pew comparison of incomes broken out by whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians in 2014.
With elections approaching, these are important factors to keep in mind. And remember, no matter which party or candidate you support, if they back Planned Parenthood, this is what you’re supporting.